Re: Reviewing temp_tablespaces GUC patch

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Jaime Casanova" <systemguards(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Bernd Helmle" <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>, "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Reviewing temp_tablespaces GUC patch
Date: 2007-05-27 18:19:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Friday 25 May 2007 12:39, Jaime Casanova wrote:
> On 5/25/07, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> > Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de> writes:
> > > --On Freitag, Mai 25, 2007 10:49:29 +0000 Jaime Casanova

> > I believe we do not call RemovePgTempFiles during a crash recovery
> > cycle; this is intentional on the theory that the temp files might
> > contain useful debugging clues.
>
> ah, i forgot that
>
> >  So there is a potential problem there.
> > Not sure how important it really is though --- neither crashes nor
> > tablespace drops ought to be so common that we need a really nice
> > solution.
>
> the only semi-sane solution i can think of, is to have a superuser
> only function that acts as a wrapper for RemovePgTempFiles(), but
> still exists a chance for shoot yourself on the foot...

If there was a way for DBA's to know they could safely delete the left-over
files (maybe the files timestamp is older than postmaster start; though not
sure how you measure that), then I think this would be enough to give them a
way out.  Of course maybe that level of smarts could be put into drop
tablespace itself?

--
Robert Treat