Re: strange problem with ip6

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: Brian Hirt <bhirt(at)mobygames(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: strange problem with ip6
Date: 2007-05-17 15:38:40
Lists: pgsql-bugs
On Mon, May 14, 2007 at 08:32:21PM -0600, Brian Hirt wrote:
> I have postgresql installed on a mac, and I'm connecting from another
> mac on the network using ip6.   When I  try to select out of
> pg_stat_activity i get this error.  I suspect the %en0 has something
> to do with the problem, but I'm no IP6 expert.

That would indeed be a problem.  "%" is not a valid character in an
IPv6 text representation of the address (see RFC 4291,
<http://www.rfc-editor.org/cgi-bin/rfcdoctype.pl?loc=RFC&letsgo=4291&type=ftp&file_format=txt>).
Whether this is a bug for postgres seems to depend on whether that
reading is coming from the OS or postgres itself.  (I don't know the
answer to that.)

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca
In the future this spectacle of the middle classes shocking the avant-
garde will probably become the textbook definition of Postmodernism.
                --Brad Holland