Re: AMD vs Intel

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: AMD vs Intel
Date: 2007-05-17 22:03:21
Lists: sfpug
Jon,

> Has anyone seen recent numbers comparing Postgres performance on the latest
> AMD vs Intel chips?
> I remember that several years ago AMD came out on top, but after a few
> years of AMD glory it looks like Intel is back....

No numbers on the latest, no.  However, I expect that the latest Intel chips
will do as well or better than AMD.  In the long run, Intel has more & better
chip architects than AMD (some of whom they recently lured away from AMD) so
I'm expecting Intel to pull ahead now that they've realized they actually
need to compete.

While Sun inked a recent deal with Intel, none of those machines are actually
built yet for me to test.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun