Re: pgAdmin Documentation

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgAdmin Documentation
Date: 2007-05-16 11:55:30
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 12:15:06PM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been thinking about trying to sort out the documentation included
> in pgAdmin. As you know, we currently bundle both the PostgreSQL and
> Slony docs with pgAdmin - what you may not know is that integrating
> these together at build time is a real pain, not to mention that those
> docs account for a major percentage of the number of files in our
> subversion repository, tarballs and Unix builds, and are also a fair
> percentage of the total size.
>
> There are at least a couple of options:
>
> 1) Leave things as they are, maybe attempt to script some of the build
> tasks.
>
> 2) Un-bundle the PostgreSQL and Slony docs. Allow the user to select a
> directory, CHM file, or website for each of these (we already allow a
> website to be selected for the PostgreSQL docs). This has the additional
> advantage that the user can use the docs for their server/slony version,
> rather than the ones we bundle.
>
> If we were to do the latter, in the Windows Installer for PostgreSQL
> (which we also need to consider, because it relies on our bundled docs),
> we would just build the CHM files for each of the three packages,
> without trying to merge them together.

I think 2 is good, provided that the windows installer (or RPM packages
or whatever is used on Mac) can be configured to pick up something by
default. So that I don't have to figure out where my pg docs are if I just
installed the bundle.

We do get questions about pginstaller why we always include pgadmin docs,
which would also be solved as a side-effect of this :-)

Does this affect searching in help in a bad way?

//Magnus