How overcome wait for vacuum full?

From: Nick Urbanik <nicku(at)nicku(dot)org>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: How overcome wait for vacuum full?
Date: 2007-05-15 22:13:56
Lists: pgsql-admin

Dear Folks,

I am running a full vacuum on a database. It's taking longer than I
hoped. In particular, the vacuum still hasn't reached the table that
will benefit most from the vacuum.

Can I move the existing table to a backup, make a copy of the table
back to its original name, restart the application, and run the vacuum
on the backup? Or can I reclaim the disk space by dropping the
original after making a copy?

If I can, without losing data, what is the best way to do that?
I am reaching the end of the period when this database application can
be disabled.

I have never run vacuum full on such a large database (24G) and am
desperate to get the application back online.
--
Nick Urbanik RHCE http://nicku.org nicku(at)nicku(dot)org