Re: Hacking on PostgreSQL via GIT

From: Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>
To: "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
Cc: Martin Langhoff <martin(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hacking on PostgreSQL via GIT
Date: 2007-04-30 13:10:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Florian G. Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org> [070430 08:58]:

> It seems as if git pulls all revisions of all files during the pull -
> which it shouldn't do as far as I understand things - it should only
> pull those objects referenced by some head, no?

Git pulls full history to a common ancestor on the clone/pull. So the
first pull on a repo *will* necessarily pull in the full object history.
So unless you have a recent common ancestor, it will pull lots. Note
that because git uses crypto hashes to identify objects, my conversion
and Martin's probably do not have a recent common ancestor (because my
header munging probably doesn't match Martin's exactly).

> The interesting thing is that exactly the same problem occurs with
> both if your mirrors...
>
> Any ideas? Or is this just how things are supposed to work?

Until you have a local repository of it, you'll need to go through the
full pull/clone. If you're really not interested in history you can
"truncate" history with the --depth option to git clone. That will give
you a "shallow repository", which you can use, develop, branch, etc in,
but won't give you all the history locally.

Also - what version of GIT are you using? I *really* recommend using at
least 1.5 (1.5.2.X is current stable). Please, do your self a favour,
and don't use 1.4.4.

a.

--
Aidan Van Dyk Create like a god,
aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca command like a king,