Re: Feature Request --- was: PostgreSQL Performance Tuning

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Dan Harris <fbsd(at)drivefaster(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Feature Request --- was: PostgreSQL Performance Tuning
Date: 2007-04-28 00:46:17
Lists: pgsql-generalpgsql-performance
Dan,

> Yes, this is the classic problem.  I'm not demanding anyone pick up the
> ball and jump on this today, tomorrow, etc.. I just think it would be
> good for those who *could* make a difference to keep those goals in mind
> when they continue.  If you have the right mindset, this problem will
> fix itself over time.

Don't I wish.  Autotuning is *hard*.  It took Oracle 6 years.  It took
Microsoft 3-4 years, and theirs still has major issues last I checked. And
both of those DBs support less OSes than we do.  I think it's going to
take more than the *right mindset* and my spare time.

> I appreciate your efforts in this regard.  Do you have a formal project
> plan for this?  If you can share it with me, I'll take a look and see if
> there is anything I can do to help out.

Nope, just some noodling around on the configurator:
www.pgfoundry.org/projects/configurator

> I am on the verge of starting a Java UI that will query a bunch of the
> pg_* tables and give the user information about wasted table space,
> index usage, table scans, slow-running queries and spoon-feed it in a
> nice attractive interface that can be a real-time system monitor tool.
> This could be a cooperative project or might have some redundancy with
> what you're up to.

I'd be *very* interested in collaborating with you on this.  Further, we
could feed DTrace (& systemtap?) into the interface to get data that
PostgreSQL doesn't currently produce.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus