Re: [GENERAL] pg_buffercache view

From: "Sorin N(dot) Ciolofan" <ciolofan(at)ics(dot)forth(dot)gr>
To: "'Bill Moran'" <wmoran(at)potentialtech(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] pg_buffercache view
Date: 2007-04-26 13:05:14
Lists: pgsql-adminpgsql-general
I don't know the algorithm on which Postgre uses the shared buffers but I'd
like to find the principles behind it. Let's assume the following scenario:
I've set shared_buffers=3000
At the starting of Postgres there are 115 buffers used by database A
After the execution of some processing caused by a java methodA1()
invocation, 2850 buffers are used by A.
What happens next if these 2850 buffers remains used even if the methodA1()
finished its execution?
Suppose that now a methodA2() invocation occurs and this method works with
database A, too. Will be the 2850 buffers reused or will postgre throw an
"out of shared memory" exception?
What happens if a methodB() invocation occurs, assuming that this method
tries to work with database B?
How Postgre decides the allocation of shared_buffers?

Thanks
Sorin