Filesystem fragmentation (Re: Fragmentation of WAL files)

From: Bill Moran <wmoran(at)collaborativefusion(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Jim Nasby <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>, Postgresql list Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Filesystem fragmentation (Re: Fragmentation of WAL files)
Date: 2007-04-26 13:14:32
Lists: pgsql-performance

[snip]

> >> Can anyone else confirm this? I don't know if this is a windows-only
> >> issue, but I don't know of a way to check fragmentation in unix.
> >
> > I can confirm that it's only a Windows problem. No UNIX filesystem
> > that I'm aware of suffers from fragmentation.
>
> What do you mean by suffering? All filesystems fragment files at some
> point. When and how differs from filesystem to filesystem. And some
> filesystems might be smarter than others in placing the fragments.

To clarify my viewpoint:
To my knowledge, there is no Unix filesystem that _suffers_ from
fragmentation. Specifically, all filessytems have some degree of
fragmentation that occurs, but every Unix filesystem that I am aware of
has built-in mechanisms to mitigate this and prevent it from becoming
a performance issue.

> There's a tool for Linux in the e2fsprogs package called filefrag that
> shows the fragmentation of a file, but I've never used it myself.

Interesting. However, the existence of a tool does not particularly
indicated the _need_ for said tool. It might just have been something
cool that somebody wrote.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.