Wild idea: 9.0?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Wild idea: 9.0?
Date: 2007-04-23 19:24:15
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

Hackers,

I was thinking about the upcoming release on my 32-hour epic airplane ordeal,
and realizing that it changes PostgreSQL in a lot of ways. Between major
improvements to performance, major changes to the file format, and changes to
implicit conversions breaking backwards compatibility, our new ability to
more-or-less stick to deadlines ...

... should this be 9.0 instead of 8.3?

Seems like it'd be both an annoucement of how far we've come, as well as a
warning to users that the 8.2-->9.0 upgrade could be painful. And that some
of our more radical features in the new version could have some rough edges.

Of course, that does put is closer to 10.0 which is going to break a lot of
packager's scripts. ;-)

Thoughts?

--
Josh Berkus