Re: autovacuum multiworkers, patch 5

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: autovacuum multiworkers, patch 5
Date: 2007-04-09 13:40:00
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-patches
ITAGAKI Takahiro wrote:

> > One thing I forgot to mention is that this is unlikely to be implemented
> > in 8.3.
>
> This is a WIP cost balancing patch built on autovacuum-multiworkers-5.patch.
> The total cost of workers are adjusted to autovacuum_vacuum_cost_delay.
>
> I added copy of worker's cost parameters to the shared WorkerInfo array.
> A launcher and each worker reads and writes the copied parameters when
> a worker starts a vacuum job or exit the process. Workers assign their local
> VacuumCostDelay from the shared value every sleep in vacuum_delay_point().

Thanks!  I had already incorporated the foreach_worker changes into my
code, and later realized that there's an important bug regarding the
PGPROC of the workers, so I've reworked the patch, which meant that the
foreach_worker() macro went away completely.

I'll put it your changes in my current WIP patch; if you do any further
work on it, please let me have it to include it in the latest work.