Re: Oracle indemnifies PostgreSQL on its patents

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Luke Lonergan <llonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Oracle indemnifies PostgreSQL on its patents
Date: 2007-03-31 17:53:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Luke Lonergan wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> This is big news - has anyone checked to see if the agreement for the OIN is
> in perpetuity? Or is their agreement to not pursue patents only for as long
> as they are members?

I would be worried if I were you (or Joshua Drake for that matter): does
the agreement apply to commercial companies deriving products from
PostgreSQL as well? Note that in the case of most projects, which are
licensed under the GNU GPL, this is not an issue, because any derivative
must also be GNU GPL.