Re: Copyrights on files

From: mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>,PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Copyrights on files
Date: 2007-03-25 15:46:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Mar 24, 2007 at 11:28:26PM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I have emailed Andrew Yu to see if we can remove his line, but I
> > question whether the other people can be reached.
> > How should we handle this?
> If they are released under the BSD license, why do we care about it?

Only the GPL license has the explicit clause "or any feature version of
this license". This clause was designed specifically for this purpose.
To allow the GPL to be updated and automatically apply to all software.
Except, it doesn't. Linux, for example, at least for some time, had an
explicit point that Linus Torvalds did not agree with this ability to
for the FSF to change the terms under which Linux is available. He wrote
at the top of the license words to the effect: "You may *only* use version
2 of the GPL."

Not that I have ever chosen to use the BSD license as a template for any
of my software - but if I did, the University of Berkeley cannot change
the terms of *my* software. The University of Berkeley can only change
the terms of software actually owned by the University of Berkeley.

Cheers,
mark

--
mark(at)mielke(dot)cc / markm(at)ncf(dot)ca / markm(at)nortel(dot)com     __________________________