Re: Retrieving timestamp data

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: "::Willi the One::" <sonic_and_tails2000(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Retrieving timestamp data
Date: 2007-03-04 17:23:55
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Sun, Mar 04, 2007 at 07:23:10AM -0800, ::Willi the One:: wrote:
> In the documentation, it says that PQgetvalue()
> returns string values for strings and "the value is in
> the binary representation determined by the data
> type’s typsend and typreceive functions."

You've omitted part of what the documentation says. The complete
text is:

For data in text format, the value returned by PQgetvalue is a
null-terminated character string representation of the field
value. For data in binary format, the value is in the binary
representation determined by the data type's typsend and typreceive
functions.

> The problem is, where's the typsend and typrecieve located?

In the backend. You can find out which functions they are by
querying pg_type, and you can learn more about the functions
themselves by querying pg_proc and by examining the source code.
But you should only need to do this if you need query results in
binary format. Do you?

> For example, if I want to retrieve a timestamp data,
> how would I do it? Will it return as a string when I
> call PQgetvalue()? What about other types such Points
> or inet types?

Unless you request results in binary format all values will be
returned as text strings. What happened when you tried it? Are
you requesting results in binary format?

--
Michael Fuhr