Re: Revitalising VACUUM FULL for 8.3

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)skype(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Revitalising VACUUM FULL for 8.3
Date: 2007-03-02 03:36:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 01:05:28PM +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
> ISTM a radical approach is needed, so I'm very open to discussion about
> this and how we cope.
> If we break down the main thoughts into a few parts:
> 1. would like a way to CLUSTER/VACUUM FULL where we don't have to move
> all of the tuple versions, just the current ones.
> 2. would like a way to compact a table more efficiently
> Your idea does (2) in a concurrent manner, which is very good.

Along similar lines, I think it would also be very useful to have a mode
where any time a tuple on the last X pages gets updated it's moved off
of it's existing page in the relation. Kind of like a 'shrink the heap
in the background'. Granted, this probably won't compact as much as
something more aggressive would, but it should be essentially free.
EnterpriseDB      512.569.9461 (cell)