Re: Implicit casts with generic arrays

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Implicit casts with generic arrays
Date: 2007-02-28 12:40:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Am Dienstag, 27. Februar 2007 19:50 schrieb Tom Lane:
> Seems basically we'd want to not cast unknown to anyarray unless there
> is some additional bit of context suggesting that that's the right thing.
> But what should that extra requirement be? Can we go as far as not
> doing this cast implicitly at all?

We could say that unknown is not taken as anyarray input if the entire
function/operator argument list consists of anyelement or anyarray. But that
might be even harder to comprehend. With the ARRAY[...] syntax available,
converting unknown to anyarray might be altogether unnecessary.

--
Peter Eisentraut