Re: bundling postgres with an application

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: zluspai <zluspai(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: bundling postgres with an application
Date: 2007-02-28 04:20:27
Lists: pgsql-ports
On Tuesday 27 February 2007 01:20, zluspai wrote:
> Dear Community,
>
> We would like to bundle and ship PostgreSQL latest with our java (Tomcat
> web~) application, that way so PostgreSQL server would be automatically
> started and stopped by our app. It should run on Windows, and recent
> versions of Suse, Fedora and RedHat linux distributions. There are few
> questions arise:
> - Do we need to compile PostgreSQL to a different binary for each of the
> mentioned linuxes, or is there an 'universally' compatible binary we
> could use? I did see that there are different RPMS for different Fedora
> and RedHat versions, that suggests we need to build it, is it correct?

I would imagine you will need to compile postgres for each distribution;
especially when you take into account different versions and hardware.

> - Also we would like to reduce the distribution size, so what would be
> the minimum set of files we need to ship? The requirement is to have
> UTF8 and jdbc/socket connection support to our database.

Note you can ship just the binaries and then do initdb with your install
program (wich will create many more files).  The easiest way to get a list is
to compile the package and then look through the listed files for what you
need.  There may well be things like contrib scripts or binary programs you
do not need to ship.  I think the list we also be different between win32 and
linux (though not entirely certain).

--
Robert Treat