Re: successful booth at Fosdem (Brussels)

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: Susanne Ebrecht <miracee(at)miracee(dot)de>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: successful booth at Fosdem (Brussels)
Date: 2007-02-27 19:50:07
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> Bruce Momjian a ?crit :
> > Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> >>[...]
> >> I also think FOSDEM 2008 can have a PostgreSQL developer room. The
> >> Debian one was really interesting, with some great technical talks.
> >> Perhaps we can do the same next year ?
> >
> > PostgreSQL had a developer's room at FOSDEM in 2003.
> >

> I didn't know that. I've been googling a bit tonight and didn't find
> much on this. For example, the schedule is no more available on your
> website (http://candle.pha.pa.us/fosdem/).
>
> Can you tell us more on the devroom ? how many people, how many
> conferences, main topics, etc. It seems to me you were quite happy with
> it (http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2003-02/msg00425.php),
> isn't it ?
>
> Do you think it can be worth it to work on such an event ?

I think it was great. We had our own room and two days of
presentations. I did my tutorials, and had other speakers. I think we
had about 10 people for every talk. I think our devroom was the most
active. Many other devrooms were used just for laptop hacking, which
is kind of boring.

We weren't invited back in 2004 because they had a different focus. I
think some folks were there for 2005 (Peter?) and 2006 (Josh?). I do
think it is a good conference because it is low cost, very techical, and
conveniently located for Europeans.