Re: COMMIT NOWAIT Performance Option

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: COMMIT NOWAIT Performance Option
Date: 2007-02-28 01:50:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Jeff,

> Is that an OS-dependent parameter? I always assumed it depended entirely
> on hardware. I have no way to test it for myself though, so I just leave
> full_page_writes=on to be safe.

It's a question of whether your HW+OS can guarentee no torn page writes for
the xlog.  Running on Sun hardware combined with Solaris 10 with the xlog
mounted forcedirectio, the Solaris folks are convinced we are torn-page-proof
and so far we haven't been able to prove them wrong.  And, on Solaris it's a
substantial performance gain (like, 8-10% on OLTP benchmarks).

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun