Re: Patch to roadmap

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch to roadmap
Date: 2007-02-27 12:02:22
Lists: pgsql-www

On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 10:24:55PM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> >
> >> It isn't... the wiki (which is at developer.postgresql.org) contains ALL
> >> information concerning the TODO list. I can certainly add the link back
> >> in, but having a link to the TODO and a link to the WIKI is redundant
> >> because the WIKI has a link to the TODO.
> >
> > You've completely misunderstood my point. If we do it that way then the
> > TODO list exists only upon sufferance of the wiki, which is not the true
> > power structure around here, even if you would wish it otherwise.
>
> I do not wish anything but for the information to be central and easy to
> find. Let's stay on task shall we. I find it much more productive. I
> submitted a patch. You don't like the patch. Fine. Let's come up with a
> better one.

FWIW, I'm with Tom on this - it's fine to present a link to the wiki (it
really should be there, it's something we've missed), but the wiki is
*not* a replacement for the TODO list. At least not yet. (it might be at
some time in the future, but that's a completely different discussion)

The same goes for the link on the frontpage (per your other patch), I
think it's better if it goes into the developer section, or possibly
directly to the TODO list, and not to the Wiki.

> If I click on Roadmap which happens to be under developers, my patch
> removes the link to the TODO to the page that is the WIKI, which
> contains more information than your the current roadmap page.
>
> So, I can put the link back, which I already suggested.

I think that's the best - link to both, with a description of what is
what.

> I could, also remove roadmap which in general seems to be a redundant
> category and thus allow for less links in general, as the roadmap is
> basically a regurgitation of the /developer page anyway.

A general change there might not be a bad idea. Though I like having the
Roadmap on it's own page - perhaps we should get rid of all those links
on the first page instead?
The whole "What will you find here" section is much a repeat of what's
in the menu on the left anyway, which doesn't make sense.

What might make more sense is to have a paragraph about "the postgresql
development model", in how we deal with patches and such in our project.
(I'm volounteering your time to write this, of course :-P)

//Magnus