Unable to restore dump due to client encoding issues -- or, when is SQL_ASCII really UTF8

From: Bill Moran <wmoran(at)collaborativefusion(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Unable to restore dump due to client encoding issues -- or, when is SQL_ASCII really UTF8
Date: 2007-02-27 13:43:27
Lists: pgsql-general
I'm probably missing something painfully obvious here, but it's not
obvious to me ...

I've pulled a dump of a production database to put it in our lab for
various types of testing ... I'm glad I did, as this testing is telling
me we'll have issues if we try to upgrade.

First off, it's my understanding that with SQL_ASCII "encoding", that
PostgreSQL does no checking for valid/invalid characters, per the docs:

The beginning of the dump file I am restoring has the following:
-- PostgreSQL database dump

SET client_encoding = 'SQL_ASCII';

But when I try to pull the dump in with psql, I get the following errors:
ERROR:  invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0xa0
HINT:  This error can also happen if the byte sequence does not match the encoding expected by the server, which is controlled by "client_encoding".

Connecting to the database and issuing "show client_encoding" shows that
the database is indeed set to SQL_ASCII.

Now ... I'm expecting the server to accept any byte sequence, since we're
using SQL_ANSII, but that is (obviously) not the case.  Am I missing
something obvious here?  Grepping the entire dump file shows absolutely
no references to UTF8 ... so why is the server trying to validate the
byte string as UTF8?

Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.

pgsql-general by date

Next:From: Andrew EdsonDate: 2007-02-27 13:56:38