Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: SCMS question

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Warren Turkal <wt(at)penguintechs(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: SCMS question
Date: 2007-02-26 20:50:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sunday 25 February 2007 01:11, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Joshua D. Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> writes:
> > Lastly, who really cares? Does it really matter? No. I would much rather
> > Warren (if he has the skills) put some effort into Patch Review.
>
> That's pretty much the bottom line. CVS is not so broken that it's a
> problem for us today. I have no doubt that it could be a problem if we
> had different usage patterns, but we don't.

It's worth keeping in mind that one of the primary reasons we don't have a
different usage pattern is because CVS makes such a thing painful. Given how
much of development is done now, I have a feeling that the community might
well adopt a distributed development model and strongly benefit from it given
a tool that makes it manageable, but CVS will certainly never give us that.

> We have the opportunity to
> wait and see what will emerge in the SCMS competition, and IMHO that's
> what we should do. There are many more-pressing things for us to spend
> time on right now than an SCMS conversion.

100% Agreed.

--
Robert Treat