Re: Log levels for checkpoint/bgwriter monitoring

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
To: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Log levels for checkpoint/bgwriter monitoring
Date: 2007-02-22 19:36:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Feb 19, 2007 at 10:59:38PM -0500, Greg Smith wrote:
> I have a WIP patch that adds the main detail I have found I need to
> properly tune checkpoint and background writer activity. I think it's
> almost ready to submit (you can see the current patch against 8.2 at
> http://www.westnet.com/~gsmith/content/postgresql/patch-checkpoint.txt )
> after making it a bit more human-readable. But I've realized that along
> with that, I need some guidance in regards to what log level is
> appropriate for this information.
It would also be extremely useful to make checkpoint stats visible
somewhere in the database (presumably via the existing stats mechanism).
The log output is great for doing initial tuning, but you'd want to also
be able to monitor things, which would be impractical via logging. I'm
thinking just tracking how many pages had to be flushed during a
checkpoint would be a good start.
--
Jim Nasby jim(at)nasby(dot)net