Re: should we have a separate page that clearly defines what a minor release is and why it's a good idea to keep up with them?

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Hammond <andrew(dot)george(dot)hammond(at)gmail(dot)com>,pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: should we have a separate page that clearly defines what a minor release is and why it's a good idea to keep up with them?
Date: 2007-02-21 14:47:16
Lists: pgsql-docspgsql-www
On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 09:30:47AM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:

> > > I think adding to the FAQ is the best solution.  What additional
> > > information to we need there?
> >
> > I think it's important enough (and unclear enough to a lot of people)
> > that it shuold have it's own non-FAQ section. Either as a page on the
> > website or as a page in the documentation.
>
> If you look at the developer documentation, you will see I overhauled
> the instructions for upgrading a minor release:
>
> 	http://momjian.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/install-upgrading.html
>
> I think that would be a good place to add more text.  What additional
> text do we need?  Something about how you are less likely to hit a new
> bug if you minor upgrade than if you stay on an older release?

Something about how we put only critical fixes in back branches, and not
new features. How we *really* recommend that people should always be on
the latest release in a branch. How we will never (knowingly) change the
behaviour of anything in a back branch (without being *very* clear in
the release notes of what and why). More focus on how easy that part is.

Mainly, I think people don't upgrade because (a) they don't know what
they gain, and (b) they're scared something will break. We need to
counter those two arguments.

//Magnus