Re: should we have a separate page that clearly defines what a minor release is and why it's a good idea to keep up with them?

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Andrew Hammond <andrew(dot)george(dot)hammond(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: should we have a separate page that clearly defines what a minor release is and why it's a good idea to keep up with them?
Date: 2007-02-21 14:30:47
Lists: pgsql-docspgsql-www
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 20, 2007 at 08:22:30PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Andrew Hammond wrote:
> > > I know it's mentioned in the FAQ, but I'd like to have a separate page
> > > that describes what a minor release is, and why it's a good idea to
> > > keep up with them. Basically, I want something simple and clear to
> > > point middle-managers at when they ask me why I want to upgrade the
> > > database.
> > >
> > > I'm willing to write it, if there's a consensus that it would be worth
> > > having.
> >
> > I think adding to the FAQ is the best solution.  What additional
> > information to we need there?
>
> I think it's important enough (and unclear enough to a lot of people)
> that it shuold have it's own non-FAQ section. Either as a page on the
> website or as a page in the documentation.

If you look at the developer documentation, you will see I overhauled
the instructions for upgrading a minor release:

	http://momjian.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/install-upgrading.html

I think that would be a good place to add more text.  What additional
text do we need?  Something about how you are less likely to hit a new
bug if you minor upgrade than if you stay on an older release?