Re: [GENERAL] Password issue revisited

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Michael Schmidt <michaelmschmidt(at)msn(dot)com>, PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Password issue revisited
Date: 2007-02-20 18:15:44
Lists: pgsql-docspgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:
> "Michael Schmidt" <michaelmschmidt(at)msn(dot)com> writes:
> > ... Regarding how I concluded
> > that PGPASSFILE was deprecated for pg_dump, I offer the following.
>
> > 1.  The documentation for pg_dump in the manual (Section VI) includes a
> > section labeled "Environment".  This lists PGDATABASE, PGHOST, PGPORT,
> > and PGUSER.  It also says "default connection parameters" but there is
> > no hyperlink or reference to another manual section to explain/define
> > this term.
>
> Yeah.  There is a link down in "See Also" but the incomplete
> "Environment" section of these man pages seems misleading.
>
> Rather than try to maintain complete lists in each of the
> client-application man pages, I propose we remove those sections
> completely, and just rely on the See Also links to section 29.12.

I think we can conclude that adding libpq in the "See Also" section of
the documentation isn't sufficient.  I have removed that mention, and
added this text to the bottom of the "Environment" section for each
utility:

+    This utility, like most other <productname>PostgreSQL</> utilities,
+    also uses the environment variables supported by <xref
+    linkend="libpq-envars" endterm="libpq">.

I have backpatched this to 8.2.X.