Re: WIP patch - INSERT-able log statements

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Guillaume Smet <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: WIP patch - INSERT-able log statements
Date: 2007-02-19 13:48:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Guillaume Smet escribió:
> On 2/19/07, Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com> wrote:
> >log_destination = 'stderr,sql' # Valid values are combinations of
> > # stderr, syslog, sql, and eventlog,
> > # depending on platform.
>
> +1

Please don't do that. We already have a "combined GUC option" that is
used to change two different things (DateStyle) and I regularly see
people confused about how to use it.

Also, "sql" is not really a destination -- it is a format. Maybe have a
"format=plain,sql" GUC var is best: plain format is logged as currently,
and SQL format is logged somewhere else (maybe use the same name, and
stash a .sql suffix to the filename, or use .sql.log). That way you can
choose to have one or the other, or both if you're really dumb.