Re: 8.2 Admin Pack broken?

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.2 Admin Pack broken?
Date: 2007-02-18 16:41:43
Lists: pgsql-admin
Andy Shellam (Mailing Lists) wrote:
> Not particularly!! Don't know what it is but it doesn't _appear_ to
> be GNU.  According to "man make" it is a "FreeBSD General Command." I
> can tell you that "./configure && make && make install" works and
> builds a working Postgres server just fine, it's just the contribs it
> doesn't build.

There is extra code in the top-level makefile that detects if you don't
run GNU make, tries to find it, and calls it instead.  But you need to
have it installed somewhere.  That code, however, is not replicated in
each directory of the source tree.

In the past, we have usually refered to the GNU make program as "gmake",
but I see an increasing number of systems, including my own, that no
longer installs GNU make as "gmake" but only as "make".  So basically
you just need to be careful what you call.

--
Peter Eisentraut