Re: phpinfo(): postgresql versions' mismatch

From: Mihail Mihailov <Mihail(dot)Mihailov(at)uta(dot)fi>
To: pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: phpinfo(): postgresql versions' mismatch
Date: 2007-02-09 17:53:46
Lists: pgsql-php

Hi Michael,

Thanks for comments!

> On Fri, Feb 09, 2007 at 11:31:29AM +0200, Mihail Mihailov wrote:
>> I have recently found out that PHP libpq Version reported by
>> phpinfo() doesn't match the Actual PGSQL Version on the server.
>> I suspect this is the reason why some of postgresql queries do not run
>> via web interface and run without any problem via psql.
>

> Only some PHP queries don't run? What's different about those that
> run and those that don't?
At first everything seemed to work fine. Connection works, queries run.
So far I have found only one query, which worked in postgres 7.4 and
doesn't seem to work now. It is a SELECT query with LIMIT and OFFSET
clauses.
The first query with OFFSET 0 worked, but the second with OFFSET N
returned an empty recordset.
I suspected that it has to do with php because the same query works
fine in psql environment.

> Do the queries that don't run fail with
> an error message? If so, what's the exact message? What do the
> PostgreSQL logs show for the failed queries? You might need to
> adjust settings like log_min_error_statement in postgresql.conf to
> get useful log entries.
Actually, these queries do not fail they just don't return any data.
Do you think it's more likely a bug in the script?

> If you ever upgrade PHP to use 8.x libraries instead of 7.4 libraries,
> beware that some prepared queries that used to work might start
> failing.
So, you think it is not a good idea to make php use the 8.x libpq?
Is the 7.4 libpq quite compatible with postgres 8.1?
Does it affect the speed?

Mihail Mihailov