Re: Proposal: Commit timestamp

From: José Orlando Pereira <jop(at)lsd(dot)di(dot)uminho(dot)pt>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Alfranio Correia <alfranio(at)lsd(dot)di(dot)uminho(dot)pt>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>, Theo Schlossnagle <jesus(at)omniti(dot)com>, Jim Nasby <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal: Commit timestamp
Date: 2007-02-07 12:13:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Saturday 03 February 2007, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Jan Wieck wrote:
> > I don't have any such paper and the proof of concept will be the
> > implementation of the system. I do however see enough resistance against
> > this proposal to withdraw the commit timestamp at this time. The new
> > replication system will therefore require the installation of a patched,
> > non-standard PostgreSQL version, compiled from sources cluster wide in
> > order to be used. I am aware that this will dramatically reduce it's
> > popularity but it is impossible to develop this essential feature as an
> > external module.
> >
> > I thank everyone for their attention.
>
> Going and working on it on your own doesn't seem like the proper
> solution. I don't see people objecting to adding it, but they want it
> work, which I am sure you want too. You have to show how it will work
> and convince others of that, and then you have a higher chance it will
> work, and be in the PostgreSQL codebase.

Hi,

Would it be possible to solve the problem using the GORDA on-commit hook?

Jan would be able reliably obtain a commit timestamp with the desired
semantics and store it in a regular table within transaction boundaries.

PostgreSQL would not have to commit to a specific timestamp semantics and the
patch is quite small.

Regards,

--
Jose Orlando Pereira