Re: Any Plans for cross database queries on the same server?

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tony Caduto <tony_caduto(at)amsoftwaredesign(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Any Plans for cross database queries on the same server?
Date: 2007-01-31 04:29:13
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 06:15:01PM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> >This has been discussed about ten thousand times, and the answer is
> >still no.
> >
> Actually the answer is: Check the TODO list. It is listed under
> Exotic features, so the answer is, no we can't yes we would like to.
>
> That being said, I think it is a dumb feature. If you have data in
> one database, that requires access to another database within the
> same cluster. You designed your database incorrectly and should be
> using schemas.
>
> If you have data in one database that requires access to another
> database that is not in the same cluster (which happens alot) use
> dbi-link.

Thanks for the pointer, but you only need DBI-Link
<http://pgfoundry.org/projects/dbi-link/>, and I only recommend it, if
you need data from a non-PostgreSQL data source.

For a PostgreSQL data source, use Joe Conway's excellent contrib/dblink.

Cheers,
phone: +1 415 235 3778 AIM: dfetter666
Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!