Re: psql possible TODO

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Richard Troy <rtroy(at)ScienceTools(dot)com>, Stephen Harris <lists(at)spuddy(dot)org>, "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql possible TODO
Date: 2007-01-29 17:30:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-12-29 at 20:59 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> > > So, is anybody working on this? I think it should be put in the TODO
> > > list:
> > >
> > > - Allow psql to display item numbers along each history item, depending
> > > on a \set variable
> >
> > I thought Joshua Drake was going to submit a patch, but if doesn't
> > appear shortly, I will add it to the TODO list with the agreed API.
>
> I will claim this for now. I will let it go if I can't get at least
> something productive done on it by end of January.

Now that the embargo period seems to be over, I think it would be a good
time to add it to the TODO list. Also, I'd modify the idea slightly to
allow a more general facility, using %-escapes (or similar) for line
numbers, dates and so on. Bash allows something like this (albeit
limited to only times) using the HISTTIMEFORMAT environment variable.

This is the first case I know of of an embargo to an agreed TODO item.
Why was it put in place? I find it distracting, because the item has to
be put on someone else's TODO list and then that person has to pinch
others to get it added to the central TODO list. Not sure I see the
point. (I understand about bashing Joshua ---a sport I also practice in
Command Prompt's internal lists ;-) --- but in this case it seems to be
counterproductive).