Re: BUG #2931: Can't capture pg_dump Password prompt

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Michael Schmidt <michaelmschmidt(at)msn(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #2931: Can't capture pg_dump Password prompt
Date: 2007-01-29 11:38:36
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Sun, Jan 28, 2007 at 09:51:11AM -0700, Michael Schmidt wrote:
> Mr. Hagander,
> I have taken the discussion of the password issue to the General group. Again, thanks. There are still two minor issues.
>
> 1. Entering pg_restore at the command prompt without any parameters hangs. Shouldn't it exit neatly with an error message?

No. It will then try to read the information from stdin. See
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/app-pgrestore.html, under
Optinos.

> 2. The pg_dump application help (pg_dump --help) states both -U and --username= are valid while the manual (section VI) only mentions -U. Should the manual entry be edited?

Yes, I beleive so. Same problems are present for at least -W also, and
also present on pg_restore. so yes, that should be fixed. I'll try to
put together a patch unless beaten to it.

//Magnus