Re: Modifying and solidifying contrib

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)seespotcode(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Modifying and solidifying contrib
Date: 2007-01-28 22:02:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Jan 28, 2007 at 01:58:38PM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> >> Well to me that gets a little messy. I mean:
> >>
> >> pg_catalog,public,<user schemas>,xml2,ltree (just to get a could
> >> functions?) etc...
> >
> > Not as messy as trying to drop or re-create a package when there
> > are already 500 functions in the public schema.
>
> I am not sure I understand the correlation. I am not suggesting we
> install anything into public. They would all go into a single
> additional schema called extensions or some such.

I don't think "all or nothing" is a good way to do this. 500
functions in a schema called extensions isn't much more helpful than
500 in public. There's a reason namespaces were invented long ago,
and this is classic use case for same. :)

> >> And have to parse for each extension?
> >
> > I don't see this as a big problem.
>
> Well I am not really interesting in this. Someone else is welcome to
> try that.

It's really not hard, even for a C n00b like me. :)

The only trick here, and again it's not a huge one, is to modify the
postgresql.conf to have the correct default search_path.

Cheers,
phone: +1 415 235 3778 AIM: dfetter666
Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!