pgsql & transaction doubt

From: Luca Ferrari <fluca1978(at)infinito(dot)it>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pgsql & transaction doubt
Date: 2007-01-26 07:39:16
Lists: pgsql-novice
Hi all,
a little doubt that came into my mind reading the official manual (chapter 37,
page 677): "functions and trigger procedures are always executed within a
transaction established by an outer query". What does "outer" means? If I'd
like a function to be execute within a transaction should I manually begin
and end the transaction or is the procedure code always executed in a kind of
subtransaction? I mean, supposing a function raises an exception, what
happens to all the sql statement issued by the function before the exception?
Are they automatically rollbacked?

Thanks,
Luca

pgsql-novice by date

Next:From: A. KretschmerDate: 2007-01-26 07:48:53