Re: Default permissisons from schemas

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Jim Nasby <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Default permissisons from schemas
Date: 2007-01-24 14:16:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Jim Nasby (decibel(at)decibel(dot)org) wrote:
> On Jan 23, 2007, at 12:07 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
> >Hmm. While I agree with the sentiment, Unix does provide for setgid
> >such that objects inherit a specific group on creation. Using
> >roles we
> >don't get that distinction so I don't think comparing it to Unix is a
> >slam-dunk. There do need to be limitations here though, certainly. A
> >couple options, in order of my preference:
>
> Is there a use-case for per-schema default ownership? I can't really
> think of one...

Sure, all the objects in a given schema should be owned by a role which
all the admins of that schema are members of. I really see this as a
sensible step from ACLs since ownership implies additional permissions
(which can't otherwise be granted, otherwise it wouldn't matter so much).

We do this quite a bit and it's annoying when someone forgets to change
the ownership of something they created. Since we do this largely on a
per-schmea basis (and different schemas have different admin groups,
which can overlap) getting people to remember to 'set role' doesn't seem
likely to practically improve things much. I've considered writing a
cron job to periodically fix all the ownerships and permissions but then
having actual exceptions becomes a pain.

Thanks,

Stephen