Re: [HACKERS] Win32 WEXITSTATUS too

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Takayuki Tsunakawa <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Win32 WEXITSTATUS too
Date: 2007-01-23 09:59:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 06:50:06PM +0900, Takayuki Tsunakawa wrote:
> From: "Magnus Hagander" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
> > Are you entirely sure that ntstatus.h is where to look? Because per
> > whatever docs I've found, that contains "device driver errors" and
> *not*
> > exception codes.
>
> Yes, what you are pointing out is correct. winbase.h and winnt.h
> should be consulted instead of ntstatus.h. See the the section
> "Return Value" in the following page:
>
> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/ru-ru/library/ms679356.aspx
>
> Furthermore, the message is meaningless for users because they can do
> nothing with the information. So, I think the message should say
> something like
>
> child process was terminated by exception %X
> This seems to be a bug of PostgreSQL.
> Please report this message with the details of the phynomenon to
> PostgreSQL developers.
>

> What do you think?

I think that's incorrect information to the user :-(
If the child terminates with exit(1), we will then say "child process
was terminated by exception 1. This seems to be a bug", which is clearly
not true.

Unless you know a sure way of determining if the exitcode is a normal
exitcode or an exception code.

//Magnus