Uregent- data Recovery - PG_CONTROL_VERSION mismatch

From: ABC <marblerock26(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Uregent- data Recovery - PG_CONTROL_VERSION mismatch
Date: 2007-01-21 13:00:39
Lists: pgsql-admin

We are facing a probelm and its very urgent to sort it out. Please Help.
The database server unexpectedly shutdown down due to power failure. On reboot, Postgresql server fails to start giving following Error:
LOG: could not create IPv6 socket: Address family not supported by protocol
FATAL: database files are incompatible with server
DETAIL: The database cluster was initialized with PG_CONTROL_VERSION 0, but the server was compiled with PG_CONTROL_VERSION 72.
HINT: It looks like you need to initdb.

we are using Mandrake Linux 9.1 and two version of Postgresql Version-7.4.2 and Postgresql Version-7.3.2 is installed
The Data directory is initialised with postgresql-7.4.2.
Postgresql -7.3.2 is not used .Postgresql-7.4.2 is used for managing Postgres Server.

We have tried to initialize a new data directory and then copy the contents of previous data directory (which is failed to start) into the new directory
after that while starting postmaster from the new dir it gives the same message describe above

so, we have tried this one and after that we are able to start the database but now we are unable to use the data
the select queries returns 0 rows or giving error [ERROR: invalid attribute number 0 for <table-name>]

also we are not able to dump the database the command pg_dump gives folowing error and then exit

pg_dump: schema with OID 536944636 does not exist

Please suggest any solution . Its very urgent.
Thanks And Regards
Chandrakant Chouhan

Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.