Re: VoIP recommendations

From: Quinn Weaver <quinn(at)fairpath(dot)com>
To: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: VoIP recommendations
Date: 2007-01-18 06:16:35
Lists: sfpug
On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 08:39:24PM -0800, David Fetter wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 08:44:17PM -0800, Reece Hart wrote:
> > sfpug folks-
> >
> > Does anyone have a voip service that they like?  We've had Vonage
> > for a year and have been extremely disappointed from the get-go.
> > Siome of the problems might be our comcast cable, but many of the
> > problems are independent of net connectivity (like complete
> > voicemail outages and lousy customer service).

Broadvoice.com.  They have pretty low rates ($20 for unlimited calling
within the US and to lots of other countries).  They'll let you "bring
your own [SIP] device", if you're into that kind of thing, including an
Asterisk server; they don't make you use a POTS phone (Plain Old Telephony
System).

More to the point, service and reliability are excellent, IMO.  They have
a good reputation in the VoIP community, which is why I chose them.

> The only VoIP service I'm using (and that only occasionally) is Skype.
> It's backed by PostgreSQL :)

Skype is the Microsoft of VoIP, but everyone uses it (but I repeat myself ;) ).

--
Quinn Weaver DBA Fairpath
http://fairpath.com/quinn/contact/