Re: Upgrade/Installation problem: Version 7.4.9 to version

From: Ray Stell <stellr(at)cns(dot)vt(dot)edu>
To: Andrew Edson <cheighlund(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Upgrade/Installation problem: Version 7.4.9 to version
Date: 2007-01-17 21:12:25
Lists: pgsql-admin

1. Curious about the difference in step 6 of this list, uses pg_restore, and what is listed in the doc:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/install-upgrading.html
which says to restore via:
psql -d postgres -f outputfile

Is this use of psql related to the fact that a pg_dumpall was the starting place instead
of pg_dump as is used in this list of steps? Can you use psql -f to restore a backup
via pg_dump?

2. Also, I found myself wondering:
pg_dump -> pg_restore
pg_dumpall -> ?

I would have expected a pg_restoreall. Also, I would expect such a
pg_restoreall to do the initdb step in the process of restoring "all."
Why is there pg_dumpall instead of a pg_dump with some flag?

On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 12:41:55PM -0800, Andrew Edson wrote:
> Please clear something up for me. The database I'm trying to upgrade was/is empty; only the original installation was present, no tables. Exactly what is it I'm supposed to be dumping? If you mean making a copy of the original 8.1.3, that I've done before, but I'm unclear as to the meaning of what you're saying at the moment. Please enlighten me.
>
> Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com> wrote: Andrew,
>
> If you're moving between major versions, a dump/restore is necessary. The
> proper procedure is:
>
> 1) pg_dump the old database by using the new version of pg_dump (8.1.x)
> against the old db server (7.4.9 in your case)
> 2) stop the old database server (and possibly move/rename the old data dir)
> 3) initdb the new database server
> 4) edit postgresql.conf, etc
> 5) start the new database server
> 6) pg_restore the old database into the newly initialized data directory
>
> So, it sounds like you'll need to reinstall 7.4 and bring it back up, then use
> the 8.1.3 pg_dump to create a dump, then restore that into the new 8.1 server.

> It's here! Your new message!
You have no chance to survive make your time.