[ psqlodbc-Bugs-1000968 ] Unicode driver does not work with multibyte database name

From: <noreply(at)pgfoundry(dot)org>
To: noreply(at)pgfoundry(dot)org
Subject: [ psqlodbc-Bugs-1000968 ] Unicode driver does not work with multibyte database name
Date: 2007-01-08 07:07:29
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Bugs item #1000968, was opened at 2006-12-21 09:43
You can respond by visiting:
http://pgfoundry.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=538&aid=1000968&group_id=1000125

Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:

I can't connect multibyte-named database, with PqslODBC 8.02.02.02
and PostgreSQL 8.2.
When connecting with Unicode Driver, 'celinet_encoding' option
was seted to 'UTF-8'. but database name got by
'SQLGetPrivateProfileString' that's not a Unicode Function, then
connInfo->database was encoded with ANSI (such as CP932). Therfore,
failed to connection.

I think that Unicode Driver should use Unicode version function
for Installer API's, and when connecting, convert strings to UTF8
encoding.

Excuse my broken english.

Regards.

Comment By: Nobody (None)
Date: 2006-12-22 01:59

Message:

Thanks for yuor answer,It has been convinced.

I think, hex format is not acceptable for average PC
users, and it's slightly worthless.I personaly believe
that If Unicode driver support utf8 encoded connection options, that's corresond to default client_encoding,
it's worthy.

Please close this bug.

Regards.

Comment By: Hiroshi Inoue (hinoue)
Date: 2006-12-22 00:21

Message:
I don't think PostgreSQL is supposed to support
multibyte database/user name and I'm not inclined
to implement your proposal trusting to luck.
Well how about allowing to use hex format database
name ?

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue

Comment By: Nobody (None)
Date: 2006-12-21 13:32

Message:
Thaks for replying.

Also with ANSI driver, I can't connect.
I'm using UTF-8 database encoding.

By PostgreSQL's sources, database name was compared with
strings in "data/global/pg_database". Databasae name was
not affected any conversion while connecting.In the file,
database name was written with the encoding of the database
which running "create database" SQL.
If "create database" run on "EUC_JP/UTF-8" encoding
database, then database name recorded by "EUC_JP/UTF-8"
encoding.I saw it's mixed in same file.

Perhaps,general solution is only adding
'database name encoding' setting on odbc config and
convert database name to that encoding on connecting.
at least, i hope to support UTF-8 encoding.

Date: 2006-12-21 11:04

Message:
Can you connect to the databse using ANSI driver ?
What's your database encoding ?

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue