Re: BCC55 and libpq 8.2

From: L Bayuk <lbayuk(at)pobox(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BCC55 and libpq 8.2
Date: 2007-01-07 23:19:09
Lists: pgsql-interfaces pgsql-patches

On Fri, Jan 05, 2007 at 08:57:00PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I have created the following patch based on your description of how to
> get BCC compiled. Please let me know how it works against a stock
> PostgreSQL 8.2.X and I can include the patch in 8.2.2. Sorry it didn't
> make it in time for 8.2.1.

I understand about 8.2.1, and sorry for not getting to this sooner. I did
have a patch file ready. I've compared it with the one you attached, and I
have some questions.

1. In the past, I've had to define "inline" to nothing to get libpq to compile
with BCC, but I don't know if it is still necessary. I had that in my patch
but you left it out. Do you know that this is no longer necessary, or
should I test it?

2. I also have a patch for bin/psql/bcc32.mak which basically synchronizes
it to changes in win32.mak. With this patch, psql compiles with BCC -
but it does not run well. (See my previous post on INTERFACES.) Can we
include the patch anyway? Maybe someone will try to fix what's wrong
someday and this patch will help.

3. To build libpq with BCC for use with pgtcl-ng, I had to add "-c" to the
LINK32_FLAGS (makes symbols case sensitive, due to PQflush() vs pqFlush()
if I recall), and change the runtime library from cw32mti.lib to cw32mt.lib
(static version). I don't know if these are specific to linking with Tcl
libraries, but I can't see it would hurt anyone else. Can I include these
in the patch?

I will try your patch, and look into the inline thing as soon as I can,
perhaps Monday.