Re: effective_cache_size vs units

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
To: Benny Amorsen <benny+usenet(at)amorsen(dot)dk>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: effective_cache_size vs units
Date: 2006-12-28 12:25:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Dec 27, 2006 at 09:39:22AM +0100, Benny Amorsen wrote:

> TL> Anyone against making it case-insensitive, speak now or hold your
> TL> peace.
>
> SI-units are inherently case-sensitive. The obvious example is that
> now you will allow people to specify an amount in millibytes, while
> interpreting it in megabytes.

Yes, and I can't think of a single reason why we'd let people specify
anything in millibytes, or kilobits. Truth is, I bet many (if not most)
DBAs barely know that case matters in the units. And even those that do
are likely to prefer ease of use to pedantics.

As for the comments about SI datatypes and MySQL-isms, there's a hell of
a big difference between muddying the line in a config file for ease of
use and stomping on data that's actually stored in the database.
--
Jim Nasby jim(at)nasby(dot)net