Re: pgtcl installation problem

From: L Bayuk <lbayuk(at)pobox(dot)com>
To: Deadwood <adamfe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgtcl installation problem
Date: 2006-12-26 01:08:46
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Sat, Dec 23, 2006 at 08:15:08AM -0800, Deadwood wrote:
> Note that I also had to untar the source code again for the
> second install to work (no make mrproper?).

Use "make distclean", which I think is the GNU standard for that.
(Don't know where the Linux folks got "mrproper" from.)

> For my system, the following values pulled from the INSTALL file
> worked:
> ./configure --libdir=/usr/lib/tcl8.4
> --with-postgres-include=$(pg_config --includedir)
> --with-postgres-lib=$(pg_config --libdir)

Yes, that is what works for me. But I agree that the fact that "configure"
alone seems to work, and then make fails when it can't find the headers, is
a bad thing. I think the "other" Pgtcl project has it default to using
pg_config to get the values, which is much better. Assuming pg_config is
in your PATH. I have a new release of pgtclng almost ready, with
event-driven asynchronous queries, and I will see if I can improve the
default configure behavior.

> It would be nice if the install script checks that the library loads
> successfully before installing.

Yes it would be very nice. As it stands now, it will happily make the
library even with missing dependencies. But I don't know how to fix
that. Know of anything autoconf-based that detects this situation?