Re: BUG #2851: Error in documentation or in code?

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Gurjeet Singh <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #2851: Error in documentation or in code?
Date: 2006-12-23 00:52:53
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Interesting.  The bug was caused because 'on' and 'off' both start with
'o', so the code didn't do tests for partial matches.

The attached, applied patch will do the right thing, checking for at
least two characters for 'on' and 'off'.  The fix will appear in 8.3.

Gurjeet Singh wrote:

> Bug reference:      2851
> Logged by:          Gurjeet Singh
> Email address:      singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 8.2.0
> Operating system:   Windows XP Professional
> Details:
>
> The documentation at
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/config-setting.html states
> that:
>
> Boolean values may be written as ON, OFF, TRUE, FALSE, YES, NO, 1, 0 (all
> case-insensitive) or any unambiguous prefix of these.
>
> But the following doesn't work:
>
> postgres=# set enable_seqscan = of;
> ERROR:  parameter "enable_seqscan" requires a Boolean value
> postgres=#
>
> 'of' is an unambiguous prefix of OFF, but it clearly doesn't work. Is it the
> documentation that needs fix or is it the code?
>
> I tried the following too:
>
> set enable_seqscan = "of"; -- doesn't work
> set enable_seqscan = "off"; -- works
>
> BTW, I tried TR, TRU, FA, FAL, FALS, YE. They all work fine.

  Bruce Momjian   bruce(at)momjian(dot)us