Re: Switching to XML

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org, David Blewett <david(at)dawninglight(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Switching to XML
Date: 2006-12-22 16:54:58
Lists: pgsql-docs

Guillaume Lelarge wrote:

> The last PDF available on the website has some bad issues. Just take a
> look at table 8-13 (page 805), table 8-18 (page 113). One more time, I
> don't say you can't fix this in SGML (and I think we already talk of
> this some time ago). But *I* won't do it. And I think some people are
> willing to work on this but they also want to have XML documentation.

I checked the PDF available on
http://www.postgresql.org/files/documentation/pdf/8.2/postgresql-8.2-A4.pdf
and it does have the issues Guillaume mentions: table 8-13 (on page 105)
is certainly mangled (columns too wide), and table 8-18 is mangled too
(a row's content is too wide for the columns, so the text on one column
overlaps the text on the next). This problem can also be seen on other
tables, for example 9-5 and 9-6.

I printed one page and it looks just as silly, so it's not just a
display problem.

Also, the US version is lacking the index -- I suppose it was built
without the complete index.sgml file.