Re: Autovacuum Improvements

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Csaba Nagy <nagy(at)ecircle-ag(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Autovacuum Improvements
Date: 2006-12-21 17:41:32
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Csaba Nagy wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-12-21 at 18:03, Matthew T. O'Connor wrote:
> > The maintenance window design as I understand it (Alvaro chime in if I
> > get this wrong) is that we will be able to specify blocks of time that
> > are assigned specific autovacuum settings. For example we might define
> > a maintenance window of Sunday morning from 1AM - 8AM, during that time
> > all autvacuum thresholds will be dropped to .01, that way everything
> > will get vacuumed that needs it during that window. Outside of the
> > window default autovacuum settings apply.
>
> Changing thresholds is not a viable solution for all the cases.

My idea was to change autovacuum parameters in general, for example the
"enable" parameter. And the idea is to be able to do it per-table
(or rather, per table group), so you can group all your mostly-static
tables in a group and then say "I don't want this group to be vacuumed".

> From all the discussion here I think the most benefit would result from
> a means to assign tables to different categories, and set up separate
> autovacuum rules per category (be it time window when vacuuming is
> allowed, autovacuum processes assigned, cost settings, etc). I doubt you
> can really define upfront all the vacuum strategies you would need in
> real life, so why not let the user define it ? Define the categories by
> assigning tables to them, and the rules per category. Then you can
> decide what rules to implement, and what should be the defaults...

Hmm, yeah, I think this is more or less what I have in mind.