Re: Release 8.2.0 done, 8.3 development starts

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: Kaare Rasmussen <kaare(at)jasonic(dot)dk>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Release 8.2.0 done, 8.3 development starts
Date: 2006-12-20 19:01:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 05:49:15PM +0100, Kaare Rasmussen wrote:
> I'm not sure, but as far as I remember, it will be a short release
> cycle for 8.3 in order to finish some big items that couldn't be
> ready in time for 8.2.
>
> But which items are more or less expected for 8.3? I recall
> - Hierarchical Queries
> - On disk bitmap index

These two are happening

> - Clustered/replication solutions

This one's stalled because no two replication solutions appear to need
anything in the core. Instead, lots of things are going on outside
the core in the clustering/replication/HA arena.

> being discussed. What are on people's minds?

Other things coming down the pike are:

* SQL/XML support per SQL:2003
* SQL/PSM support per SQL:2003

Hrm. While two things isn't much of a pattern, it's suggestive.

Personally, I'd like to see MERGE, windowing functions, and better
integration of (INSERT|UPDATE|DELETE) ... RETURNING.

Cheers,
D (SQL/MED, anybody?)
phone: +1 415 235 3778 AIM: dfetter666
Skype: davidfetter