Release 8.2.0 done, 8.3 development starts

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Release 8.2.0 done, 8.3 development starts
Date: 2006-12-19 17:23:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The 8.2.0 release went well. We spent a month more in beta than we
planned, but that time helped to eliminate many bugs, and many that had
existed in previous PostgreSQL major releases as well. We have had very
few bug reports for 8.2.0, and will be doing a minor release in 1-2
weeks to get those fixes out to the user community.

The development community is now focused on 8.3, and discussion and
patch application has already started. This is scheduled to be a
shorter release cycle then normal, with feature freeze on April 1, with
major functionality discussed and hopefully reviewed by the community at
least a month before that. This would put beta in mid-May, and final
release perhaps mid-July. Of course, this all might change based on
community feedback.

--
Bruce Momjian bruce(at)momjian(dot)us