Re: print statements?

From: Andreas Kretschmer <akretschmer(at)spamfence(dot)net>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: print statements?
Date: 2006-12-19 16:37:45
Lists: pgsql-novice

tlm <tlm1905(at)gmail(dot)com> schrieb:

> [ 2nd try ]
>
> Hi. I have an automated script that essentially feeds a long sequence of SQL
> statements to psql, as a single transaction. For debugging purposes, I would
> like to insert the equivalent of print statements (to write messages to stdout,
> stderr, or maybe some pre-specified log file) at various points in this
> sequence. How is this done?

One solution: write a little function to write out there parameter via
RAISE NOTICE and call this function on the desired places.

I mean something tike this:

test=# create function write_out(text) returns void as $$ begin raise notice '%',$1; end; $$ language plpgsql immutable strict;
CREATE FUNCTION
test=#
test=# select write_out('hint');
NOTICE: hint
write_out

(1 row)

and set 'log_min_messages = notice', then can you find your messages in
the log-file.

Andreas
unintentional side effect. (Linus Torvalds)
"If I was god, I would recompile penguin with --enable-fly." (unknow)
Kaufbach, Saxony, Germany, Europe. N 51.05082°, E 13.56889°